Friday 6 September 2013

Blog Tinkering/Personal update September 2013

I've been doing this for a little while now and decided that it was time I did some post editing and widget adding. My Introduction post is now a lot nicer with more personalised information, as well as some book recommendations and a couple of photos. 

I've added a category cloud and some other things down the side of the blog, and have made comments open to the public. One thing that I've failed to find a solution for is the problem of printing straight from the blog.

I've been looking into it and have possible tech-support in the form of Carlos, but it may mean that I'll be shifting this blog to another platform (possibly wordpress) if said platform supports printing. I mean, it's a recipe blog (mostly) and printing might be something my readers will want access to one day.

I'm also really keen on saving for a DSLR and taking classes for that, but I figure it wont be for at least another 6 - 12 months. Since summer is approaching my access to natural light will be vastly improved so hopefully photos will be improved also.

I've been reading a whole lot of books about Low Glycemic Index stuff and will be mentioning things here and there as I learn them. Lately I've been pretty proud and in control of my portion sizes, which really helps keep my blood sugar on an even keel. Carlos and I are eating better than ever - with a home made lunch almost every day and home-cooked dinners we're really upping our vitamin and fibre intake. The other week I had lunch out and ordered a chicken schnitzel roll. A year ago I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but this time I looked at the roll and realised that it was at least 14 cm across the top (it was a round roll) and the schnitzel was one of those really big pieces cut into two. I thought to myself that half of the roll would be plenty, and I only ate half of it - I kept the rest for a mid-afternoon snack and had a light dinner. This is an illustration of how my perceptions of food are changing, and I think it's a good thing. 

Another nice food-related moment comes from a lovely brunch I had with some really awesome people. We had lots of talks and really enjoyed each other, and the food. The food was pretty amazing.
 
I ordered the "Colonel's Mistress" - Southern fried chicken, mango, lime and peanut slaw, chipotle aioli. Yes, it was as good as it sounds. I found that I enjoyed the slaw so much and had not thought to include salad things in a breakfast setting, but I will be thinking about that a lot more from now on. 




I'm also exercising more. My G.P. referred me to an exercise physiologist and it has been such a good thing for me. I now know that I have to get my heart rate up to 145bmp if I'm going to shift any excess weight. He took me through a circuit routine and helped me realise that as long as the heart-rate is at the "butter-zone" for the whole 30 mins I can do things like stretches and low-impact stuff, and if I feel the rate going down, do some stepping exercise and get it back up. It is so much more MANAGEABLE than I ever thought it could be, and I'm pretty sure that starting out like this will help me to institute regular movement as a really positive thing. So yeah. Exercise Physiologists are an EXCELLENT way to figure out what to do and how to do it.

Meal planning has kind of fallen by the wayside - mainly because we were given a lot of home-grown food that I wanted to cook with. I've got a meal plan for the next 3 weeks' dinners, and lunches will be developed on a day-by-day basis. 

Anyhow, I'm having fun and enjoying the Spring weather and hope you're all doing something you enjoy...

cheers for reading,

Esther.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CC-BY-SA-3.0