Friday 6 September 2013

Getting to Grips with Carb Portions - Cauliflower and Mungbean Curry



Home made curry beats take away every time



I got the idea for this recipe from an amazing book I own called Fat-Free Indian by Shehzad Husain and Manisha Kanani. I've made the Potato and Mungbean Curry in the past, but wanted to update it with a Low G.I alternative - and cauliflower really works!

For a while I was convinced I had to stop eating things that encouraged the consumption of rice - things like curries, stir-frys and some casseroles. That made me a bit frustrated, but I started to really explore different cooking styles and different ideas about what should go onto a plate - namely, what serving sizes are appropriate. I began to make stir-frys without carbs - just a plate of veg and protien, and found that was satisfying. It wasn't until a couple fo weeks ago that I started re-reading a Low G.I. book and discovered that my hazy memories or proper eating were not representative of a fully balanced Low G.I diet. It turns out that carbohydrates are extremely important for our bodies - but only when we choose the right kinds, the Low G.I. kinds.

I now enjoy Low G.I. basmati rice a couple of times a week because I am able to enjoy a much smaller portion that what I was used to. So that period of confusion really helped me to pull back from the habit of eating 2 cups of cooked rice plus the curry/stir fry/casserole to the point where I'm eating 3/4 cup cooked rice and enjoying the curry/stir fry/casserole more.

I also discovered a very cool thing - I can microwave papadums! Of course I have to be wary of over-eating them because of their energy density, but one or two pappadums really make a lovely addition to a curry.

All in all, there are a lot of things we can do to include our favourite kinds of foods in our weekly meals while keeping an eye on the size of the carb load as well as the kind of carb.

Mungbeans - not just for the 1970's




No comments:

Post a Comment

CC-BY-SA-3.0